Planning, Prepping and Packing for a CAMPING SAFARI EXTRORDINAIRE to the Okavango Delta, Botswana
Part 1 - Planning
We’re so excited to be taking our German friends (and old friends) on an epic Botswanan adventure – camping in the stunning beauty of the Okavango Swamps, Savuti and Chobe.
Over the years I’ve honed my skills of the 3 P’s – Planning Prepping and Packing for Safari experiences using ‘Qualitarian’ and ‘Nutritarian’ foods, ensuring that we continue to nourish ourselves with THE BEST FOODS EVER whilst enjoying THE BEST HOLIDAY EVER!
When planning a trip like this, it is very important to keep two key things in mind, the available space in the caravan or trailer, and the fridge or freezer space. As they say, practice makes perfect - this definitely gets easier the more often we do it.
On our trip, there are no shopping opportunities to replenish supplies for the first 2 weeks. Here are some of the things we do to make sure our planning goes smoothly:-
· Quantify the number of meals required for the period.
· Distinguish the type of meals required, such as en route in the car, complete meals (for late arrivals), breakfasts, lunches, dinners, snacks, treats, and also hot and cold drinks.
· Choose recipes to make for the freezer or to store in airtight containers.
· Draw up shopping lists to purchase the relevant ingredients.
· Plan to systematically make the meals over the two weeks leading up to departure - starting with the frozen meals. This food must be frozen solid before packing into the camping freezer.
· Plan the big pack ahead of time - preferably over the weekend prior to departure.
· Non-perishable foods should be packed into “ammo” boxes. Heavy duty plastic, stackable boxes with firm clips are a must as monkeys and baboons can’t open them!
· Perishable goods must be purchased as close to departure date as possible to ensure freshness.
My thinking is to make sure that there is sufficient choice, and flexibility in the menu for the whole trip, which in this case is 3 weeks.
Maximum preparation beforehand ensures that I maximize my relaxation time when I’m away. Most of the work is done and I can enjoy the holiday!
I have peace of mind that the food quality is excellent, that the foods that I’ve chosen will deeply nourish us, that it will offer us a wide spread of rainbow colours, and most of all that each meal will be delicious.
The secret is in the planning!